Issue 1The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their contemporaries.
Issue 243 The increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves.
Argument 1 The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station. "WWAC must change f…… in our area."
Argument 2The following appeared in a letter to the editor of Parson City's local newspaper. "In our region of Trillura, the majority of money spent on the schools that most students…… Blue City residents do."
1. To say the actors were ______ their director is an understatement: a director who is visibly bored by his cast and their performances is hard to _____
Blank I disappointed in / accepting of / motivated by
Blank II lambast / displease / suffer
2. The writer’s assignment of the critic includes personal ______ such as jibes about his physical girth and style of delivery, and is not the better for it.
aspersions / commendations / falsehoods / fantasies / whims / slurs
(1) But because archaeology addresses the most basic questions and explores the most profound changes in human history by means of a grossly incomplete record -- and perhaps because it was long the province of aristocrats and buccaneers -- it has invited the sort of bold interpretations in which speculation can too easily become ______ evidence.
參考答案： untethered from / divorce from
(2) The central idea of the consilience world view is that all tangible phenomena, from the birth of stars to the workings of social institutions, are based on material processes that are ultimately reducible, however long and ______ the sequences, to the laws of physics.
參考答案： tortuous / convoluted
(3) Evolutionary psychologists are not as imperialist in their ambitions as their sociobiologist forebears of the 1970s, but they tend to be no less ______ in their claims.
參考答案： hubristic / arrogant